Friday, October 13, 2006

Dum Aloo

One big advantage of staying away from home is you get to learn different style of cooking. I was the princess at home and nver entered the kitchen at all, while my mom did all the cooking. Since I had to do my own cooking, for my own survival, I have realised the importance of it. Since then I have taken up cooking as a hobby and now I keep trying out different stuff.

This is an easy DumAloo recipe .... you might be wondering that I write its easy for all recipes, thats becoz all people who know me will completely agree that I am a BIG LAZY goose. Hahaha.

Here is the recipe :

Soak Kaskas (white poppy seeds) with 3-4 red chillis , if u want it spicy otherwise can reduce it to 1-2, and dry coconut in half cup water. If you cant get dry coconut, just soak the other 2 ingredients.

Boil the baby potatoes first. Then add little oil in a nonstick pan and saute it for a minute, to make it a little crisp fro the outside. You could deep fry the baby potatoes too. Use a fork and poke few holes in these potatoes, so the spices can seep in it.

Grind 1 small piece ginger, 2-3 cloves or garlic, 1 tsp fennel seeds, 1 tsp Cinnamon powder or a small piece of cinnamon stick, 4-5 green Cardomom, with the soaked kuskus (White poppy seeds), red chillis and fresh or dry coconut. This paste should be little thick so don't add much water.

Heat 2 tsp oil in a round bottom pan , cook this paste for 3-4 mts with salt and 2-3 tsp sugar, and then add the cooked potatoes. Add little water to make it a nice gravy curry. If u would like more richer taste, add 1/2 cup cream, allow it to cook till it starts to boil. Server it hot with (fresh) finely chopped corriander leaves as garnishing.

This can be enjoyed best with Chapatis or Nans of any kind.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home